Xubuntu 18.04 default panel location - where should it go?
Aaron Franke
2017-10-29 03:57:23 UTC
Hello xubuntu-devel members,

Unfortunately I was not able to make the Fri, October 27 as 22:00 UTC meeting that was held recently. However, I would still like to propose something.
For the purpose of making it easier for Windows, Mint Cinnamon, Lubuntu, and other users to transition to Xubuntu, I propose changing the default location of the panel to the bottom of the screen.
People who prefer it at the top of the screen can simply move it back there. The default location mostly affects new users, so it should cater to them first. I'm sure there are also non-newbies who prefer the bottom of the screen.

I don't expect that the poll results will be the final decision, but it will probably help decide where the panel's default location should be. I'm also not sure if polls are allowed in these mailing lists, I joined the xubuntu-devel list a month earlier to see what type of content was allowed and I didn't see any polls or anything. I apologize in advance if it's not allowed.

Thanks for your consideration,
Aaron Franke, a Xubuntu user
Michael Lueck
2017-11-29 12:43:41 UTC
Greetings Aaron,
Post by Aaron Franke
I have created a poll to see what everyone's opinions are: http://www.strawpoll.me/14263444 There are options for top, bottom, side, or don't care. All are useful results, I encourage you to vote.
This link will only be sent to the xubuntu-devel mailing list.
My preference would be BOTH! Go back to the layout of Xubuntu 12.04. That release had a very useful MacOS'ish look to it.

I much prefer the top panel to have the Applications / Whisker menus, commonly used individual program icons, CPU/Memory, network, volume, date, Action Buttons.

The bottom panel is normally hidden, has a few key shortcuts (modeled after Xubuntu 12.04), and then AS MANY Workspaces as I can fit depending on monitor resolution.

I did not vote as BOTH was not one of the options.

I am thankful,
--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems