New Ubuntu community hub and Xubuntu
Pasi Lallinaho
2017-10-04 10:41:06 UTC
Hello people (CC: Alan Pope),

a new Ubuntu community hub [1] has been launched [2]. Flavors are not
listed (yet), but after a quick talk with Alan, he promised us we could
get involved pretty much any way we want, as long as allowed by the
software – Discourse.

My gut feeling was that flavors – or at least we – would likely want a
separate category (possibly one main category for flavors, then a
subcategory for each opt-in flavor) rather than sending our stuff to the
generic categories.

My questions for you are:
– Where would you like to see Xubuntu appear in the community hub, if
anywhere?
– What kind of content do you think we should be submitting there?

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://community.ubuntu.com/
[2] https://popey.com/blog/posts/new-ubuntu-community-hub-launched.html
--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead & Council Member › https://xubuntu.org/
flocculant
2017-10-04 11:09:22 UTC
Post by Pasi Lallinaho
Hello people (CC: Alan Pope),
a new Ubuntu community hub [1] has been launched [2]. Flavors are not
listed (yet), but after a quick talk with Alan, he promised us we
could get involved pretty much any way we want, as long as allowed by
the software – Discourse.
My gut feeling was that flavors – or at least we – would likely want a
separate category (possibly one main category for flavors, then a
subcategory for each opt-in flavor) rather than sending our stuff to
the generic categories.
– Where would you like to see Xubuntu appear in the community hub, if
anywhere?
– What kind of content do you think we should be submitting there?
Cheers,
Pasi
[1] https://community.ubuntu.com/
[2] https://popey.com/blog/posts/new-ubuntu-community-hub-launched.html
I'd guess that if we bothered then we should discuss with the other
flavours what the general 'flavour' consensus is outside of Ubuntu. If
there were categories for each I suspect that 'Ubuntu' won't like as it
would be too cluttered ...

As far as what content - can't really see the point given we've got
x.org/google/fb/twitter - what would 'you' envisage being here and not
in other places?

Cheers,

Kev
ht
Sean Davis
2017-10-04 12:08:05 UTC
What level of moderation is available here? Would we use this primarily as
a bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop? Sorry if some of this
is obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the past and don't know how
much of this is structured.
flocculant
2017-10-04 16:29:41 UTC
Post by Sean Davis
What level of moderation is available here? Would we use this
primarily as a bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop?
Sorry if some of this is obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the
past and don't know how much of this is structured.
iirc - you can moderate - but that would mean one of us being a
moderator - for obvious reasons you can count me out of that :p

Basically it's much like the way askubuntu works - thread and people can
comment on that.

Not sure how we could get feedback other than one of us doing that by
reading stuff.

hth
Alan Pope
2017-10-04 12:27:17 UTC
Post by Sean Davis
What level of moderation is available here?
Most of the site is auto-moderated by people who frequent the site.
It's possible to set specific people as moderators though.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-moderation-guide/63116 has more details.
Post by Sean Davis
Would we use this primarily as a
bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop? Sorry if some of this is
obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the past and don't know how much of
this is structured.
So the two main goals of the ubuntu community hub are to improve
community communication and ease new contributors into the community.

It's not designed to be a general user-discussion site, like Ubuntu
Forums. The target audience is people who actually want to get
involved. That can be from ISO testing, to packaging to translations
and advocacy. We discourage technical support, because that's served
well elsewhere (askubuntu / irc / forums).

So I'd imagine if you wanted you could use it for open discussion of
upcoming features in Xubuntu, package selection, calls for testing,
announcements. Anything you might currently use irc or mailing lists
for. Those conversations are often buried in a mailman archive or
irclog somewhere, and not exposed where people who want to get
involved can find. I appreciate many people are very wedded to the
existing tools like irc/mail but if we want to expose more of what's
going on and welcome new people, it can be a bit abrasive in 2017 to
use those 'legacy' communication methods. :)

That said, if you guys already have tools you use and you're happy
with, there's no obligation or pressure from me to move everything to
the community hub. I think it would be great if you did, of course,
because it makes discovery easier, but no pressure :)

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Community Advocate

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
***@canonical.com
http://ubuntu.com/
flocculant
2017-10-05 11:25:36 UTC
Post by Alan Pope
Post by Sean Davis
What level of moderation is available here?
Most of the site is auto-moderated by people who frequent the site.
It's possible to set specific people as moderators though.
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-moderation-guide/63116 has more details.
Had a quick look at that - seems fairly simple. Though it also appears
that there should be moderators to deal with flags set by users? I
assume that at least you (Alan) are one?
Post by Alan Pope
Post by Sean Davis
[...]
That all makes sense - and if by using it we are inclusive to a new
group of people - all the better.

I'm still of the opinion (from 4th) that if there should be a seperation
of 'flavours' from Ubuntu there. And perhaps a discussion with other
flavours as to how to go about that. eg Xubuntu/Kubuntu et all nested
inside a main Flavours section - if there was a main section for each of
the official flavours - going to get long on the front page
Post by Alan Pope
Cheers,
Kev
flocculant
2017-10-05 16:19:10 UTC
Hiya,
Happy to create those once you're ready to start posting content. I've
got a pipeline of Ubuntu related stuff lined up. I don't want to flood
the place with stuff this week, but drip some of it out. Also, some is
time sensitive / time critical so it makes sense to hold back. Maybe
you could plan some posts leading up to the 17.10 release. I'm
reluctant to have an empty category sat there waiting for content, but
happy to create it as and when you're ready - as I kinda sprung this
on you :)
Cheers,
If we jump this way a bit - it's likely to be pre-RC for arty artichoke.
At least that's the first time I could possibly see any use for it (with
Xubuntu QA hat)

cheers
Pasi Lallinaho
2017-10-04 19:59:57 UTC
Post by flocculant
Post by Pasi Lallinaho
[...]
Personally I'd consider this one more outlet for our testing calls etc.
– or in other words, mostly the same content as other outlets. I was
just wondering if anybody had any new ideas. Ultimately we can then take
those ideas for all of our social media as we see fit.

Cheers,
Pasi
--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) › http://open.knome.fi/