Greetings and video idea
Andrew Crouthamel
2017-03-04 04:32:55 UTC
Hello everyone,

Some of you may have met me on IRC already as "Perigee", to the others who
have not, hi!

I've recently joined QA and will be testing the daily branch on a number of
computers I have. But, I'd also like to offer something in addition to
that. I suppose it falls under Documentation.

My side business is producing IT training videos. If you do a little
Googling on my name you'll probably find a few examples such as my YouTube
channel where I've uploaded a full CCNA course for free, courses for
Pluralsight and Packt Publishing I've done, and other stuff. I'm also a
Cisco Academy Instructor and teach at a local community college.

I'd like to produce some Xubuntu training videos if the team thinks that
would be beneficial, and hopefully we could nail down some of those details
here if you do. From some initial discussions about it on IRC, it sounded
like a good idea.

At this point I'd like to open this up for comments and questions, and we
can then move on to details such as content.

---
Andrew Crouthamel
Andrew Crouthamel
2017-03-12 04:55:38 UTC
So, I'll continue here with a list of video ideas. Each one will be less
than 10 minutes, so they will be quick How-To's to get people up and
running, give them a quick synopsis on how to use a program, or some
popular examples of programs (that do their best to adhere to the Strategy
Document) to use in a certain situation. They are very basic to start, then
can get more in-depth:

- An overview of the Xubuntu desktop
- Connecting to your home network and the Internet
- Browsing the Internet
- Editing office documents
- Reading email
- Chatting with friends
- Browsing local and network files
- Adding a printer
- Installing new software
- Using proprietary drivers
- Adding PPA's
- Playing video games
- Watching videos and music
- Ripping CDs and DVDs
- Burning CDs and DVDs
- Reading and scanning PDF documents
- Editing raster and vector graphics
- Editing audio
- Editing video
- Customizing the panel and menu
- Changing application appearance
- Improving laptop battery performance
- Running virtual machines
- Developing on Linux
- Contributing to Xubuntu

---
Andrew Crouthamel
Andrew Crouthamel
Dave Morley
2017-03-13 09:23:47 UTC
On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 23:55:38 -0500
Post by Andrew Crouthamel
So, I'll continue here with a list of video ideas. Each one will be
less than 10 minutes, so they will be quick How-To's to get people up
and running, give them a quick synopsis on how to use a program, or
some popular examples of programs (that do their best to adhere to
the Strategy Document) to use in a certain situation. They are very
- An overview of the Xubuntu desktop
- Connecting to your home network and the Internet
- Browsing the Internet
- Editing office documents
- Reading email
- Chatting with friends
- Browsing local and network files
- Adding a printer
- Installing new software
- Using proprietary drivers
- Adding PPA's
- Playing video games
- Watching videos and music
- Ripping CDs and DVDs
Just a err on the side of caution here in many countries it is illegal
to rip cd's and dvd's burning things like distribution cd's dvds
should be fine but I would steer clear of anything that may be
misconstrued as illegal.
Post by Andrew Crouthamel
- Burning CDs and DVDs
- Reading and scanning PDF documents
- Editing raster and vector graphics
- Editing audio
- Editing video
- Customizing the panel and menu
- Changing application appearance
- Improving laptop battery performance
- Running virtual machines
- Developing on Linux
- Contributing to Xubuntu
---
Andrew Crouthamel
--
You Make It, I'll Break It!

I Love My Job :)

http://www.canonical.com
http://www.ubuntu.com
Andrew Crouthamel
2017-03-13 14:01:45 UTC
Good point. Anything that seems missing? I know I thought of something
earlier, but forgot now.

---
Andrew Crouthamel