English version of Ubuntu documentation
David Pires
2018-05-10 09:20:16 UTC
Hello Adalbert.

First of, let me apologize for this late reply to your email but real life
sometimes doesn't allow us to keep a speedy pace in our internet life.

Regarding the issue you mention in your email there must be something wrong
with your download, because the downloaded pdf documentation is searchable,
both in a Xubuntu environment using Atril for the effect as in a Windows
enviroment, using Acrobat Reader in this case.

You say that that your made searchable pdf is 22 MB, 1/3 of its original
size, whitch is odd since the original pdf documentation (downloaded from
https://docs.xubuntu.org/1604/user/C/xubuntu-documentation-A4.pdf) is only
443 Kb.

Best regards,
Hello David Pires aka Slickymaster,
1.) I just downloaded the current Xubuntu documentation as a pdf file from
https://docs.xubuntu.org/1604/user/C/xubuntu-documentation-A4.pdf and I
was surprised to get a non searchable PFDF document.
For your convenience I was about to attach this file made searchable - it
even became only 1/3 of its original size (22 MB instead of 76)! I made it
under Windows (grrrrr...) using Abbyy Fine Reader 9.0 (almost the only
reason to still have a Windoze system). However, your mail inbox can't
accept a file of that file. If you tell me other means, I would like to
share the OCRed file with you.
However: Making searchable pdf files is done best exporting from the
original system, e.g. LibreOffice, because then hyperlinks from the TOC to
the chapter's headlines and other hyperlinks in the text remain live.
*Please let all people after me download searchable pdf-files!*
2.) The reason why I downloaded the Xubuntu documentation was to learn
something about the multiple screen modes supported by Xubuntu (i.e. *xfce4-display-settings
-m* (in general) and possibly on LibreOffice Impress and how to use it
with
- the presentation preview mode on my laptop and the full screen
presentation on the secondary screen
- or with any other program running on my laptop and a presentation
running in full screen mode on the secondary screen.
This does not always work as expected, especially the button in the
preview presentation to exchange the role between primary and secondary
display only works one way, not the other way around!
*If you happen to have any help on that topic, I would highly appreciate
it.*
Kind regards
Adalbert Hanßen